Sunday, February 10, 2013

Special Blog Post # 1

WolfRamAlpha
1) To answer the question on the misinterpretation of the "Did You Know?" video
India has a population of 1.21 billion people, China has a population of 1.35 billion people, and last most certainly not least The United States has a population of 309 million people.

2) The first question I asked WolfRamAlpha was "How many people speak English?" the answer was 760 million people World wide speak English. The Second question I asked was "What is the most spoken language?" and the answer to that was Mandarin with 1.1 billion people.

3) This was my first time ever even hearing about WolfRamAlpha. And I think it's a pretty nifty website. The World use to be thought of as this HUGE planet that know one really knew about. Now with technology the World had become so small. For one website to calculate almost the percentage of anything that has to deal with population is astounding. For one person in The United States who wants to just check to see how many people live in China, and get back that information in a matter of seconds is mind blowing. For me this website is useful in so many ways. And I can see why teachers would want to use it. For my future classroom I know I will. With the help of this one website you're taking the whole World into your hands. As a teacher I can show my students what the world has to offer. I want to show them that there isn't just the city they live in that's real. They have the whole globe to discover and why not start that curiosity for it in the classroom?

4) The Social Media Counts is an interesting concept. How Mr. Hayes figured that out is pretty amazing. To sit there and be able to see how many people are getting onto Facebook, downloading an app, or even just buying an Ipad is pretty awesome. Whenever I log into Facebook I'm not thinking about how many thousands of other people are logging into it as well.

Social Media has become a huge step in our society. Since, social media is such a huge step of course it will be affecting jobs now and in the future. As a future teacher, social media will definitely be effecting my job. Social media has already changed schools. Students are now doing almost everything on computers. Students aren't just being shown pictures of far off distant people or places. Students are now getting to now watch in HD those people and the places they live. Plus, students can now even interact with them. As a future teacher I have to say I'm excited about social media. Most of the time it gets a bad rep for just being used for pointless activities. But if I can find a way to use it to broden the horizons for my future students I'm going to take that chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment