Sunday, February 3, 2013

Blog Post # 3

Blog Critique
The student I was assigned to comment on was Logan Kirkland. I think Logan did an amazing job on his second blog writing. Logan was very clear as to what he was wanting to get across. Logan also had wonderful grammer throughout the whole blog entry. The reason I'm critiquing this way is because Logan did such an awesome job on his blog post. He didn't leave anything out and he also took his time and thought about what he was wanting to say. Not just throwing something up on his blog to write it in time.

Peer Editing
The two videos and the slide show about peer editing were both wonderful. I was never taught in school about peer editing and if I had the school or teacher never put much emphasis on the subject. Peer editing is such a big deal because it isn't just about critiquing someone in school to make yourself feel better. You'll be having to peer edit your whole life. Peer editing just isn't used in helping someone write a paper. It's learning how to state your opinion on a subject without hurting that other person and also using tact to accomplish it in. You'll be using peer editing in any profession some finds himself or herself in.

The video "Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes" was just adorable! I loved how their teacher let them reenact what different peer review editors are like and how he terrifically he got his point across.The children in the video portrayed each character perfectly and showed us how we should not act when we do help others when it comes time for critiquing. None of us want to be Picky Patty's or Jean the Generalizer's.

Assistive Technologies
I never knew how much technology we have to use for the blind. What the Ipad and the Mountbatten can accomplish is stunning. I've personally have never worked with a blind person before, but I have helped make Braille Bibles at my grandmother's church. I never thought how differently the literature and the math subjects are for the blind. Math is already such a hard subject for students to grasp that I couldn't imagine having to learn how to accomplish math without being able to see. What the Mountbatten can do for blind students is miraculous. How the students can feel and see how easy it is to do such simple math is amazing.

When I become a teacher I am sure I will one day come across a blind student. If so, I will want that student to excel with the rest of his or her class. Just because he or she is blind does not mean that they can't have a bright future as well. I want to be trained to know what to do to help my students along. I want each individual student to feel that they can do anything that he or she wants to do. We are at a time now where almost anything can be achieved. All you have to do now is go for it. It's like the quote “Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”

Vicki Davis
"Turning school upside down." I loved how she said that. Ms. Davis looks like an amazing teacher. For her to go in and completely change how school is everyday is awesome. She connected her small school that's in the middle of nowhere to the world. She even got a chance to take her students to The Middle East. How many teachers are blessed enough to do that?

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your blog! Your blog is well thought out, and it is evident that you really care about the content that goes into your blog. Nice job! I agree with your comments on peer editing. In school, the only teachers that emphasized peer editing were my English teachers. However just as you stated, writing a paper is not the only time that people will use peer editing. These are important skills that should be developed because those skills will be used in work force as well. I also did not realize how much assistive technology existed for blind students, and I think it is great that you helped make Braille Bibles. I imagine it was an awesome experience. Great blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do not have to write anything in this Blog Post about C4C, C4K, or C4T assignments. See the instructions in the Projects Manual for projects 3, 4 and 7.

    " It's learning how to state your opinion on a subject without hurting that other person and also using tact to accomplish it in." rarely practiced on TV or in politics!

    Your comments on Vicki Davis are too sketchy. Summarize what she was telling us in the video. Then offer your opinions and comments.


    ReplyDelete