Sunday, March 10, 2013

Blog Post # 8

This is how we dream:



This week one of our videos we had to watch was "This Is How We Dream Part 1 and 2" by Dr. Richard Miller. Dr. Miller started off his discussion by talking about how when he was a kid, he wanted to be a writer and publish a book. So he went to college studied and looked up what he needed to look up to write his book. His dream finally came true and he accomplished what he wanted and wrote a book that was published. That would be a proud moment for anyone. But, what Dr. Miller didn't expect as a kid, was the internet. He goes on to say that now you can see his book all over the internent and you're able to buy his book for a very great deal of fifty nine cense. Dr. Miller starts talking about how the world for writing has totally changed. He says that multimedia is the "greatest change in human communication in human history". Think about that for a second. Not in any other time in history, has had what we are fortunate enough to have today. We can get onto our laptops, Iphones, Ipads, and etc and talk, and not just only talk, but SEE the other person we're talking to, and that person could be on a totally different continent! It's a luxury we're so use to today, that we don't even give it a second thought. But for us to know and see how much is out in the world, from just a piece of technology, is a truly amazing accomplishment for the human race.

What Dr. Miller also was talking about, is how easy it is now to just be able to sit at home in one spot and write a whole paper without moving. All you need is a computer and the internet and you basically have the whole world in your hands. Dr. Miller talks about writing and states that writing is "not so much with pencils, paper, and a library. But with laptops". And that statement is 100% true. The only time that I as a student even go to the school campus library is when I need to focus and need some peace and quite. I can't even remember the last time I had to go to the library to actually look up information for a test or a paper. I do all my research from my laptop. The internet has everything if not more than what a library contains. Dr. Miller called the internet the "research riches of the World", and you can't deny it. Everything that is on the internet can be updated in a matter of seconds. You can find all kinds of information. The old ways of writing and researching are out.

I loved what Dr. Miller had to say. And when I become a teacher I will teach my students the importance of how to do research on the interntet. There's so much out in this world to learn from. And as the days go by more and more new findings in technology are made. Who know's maybe the way we write research papers now, will become a way of the past. But for now we need to see the importance of showing and teaching students what technology and the multimedia can do for them. I'll use Martin luther King's speeches for example. You can Youtube ALL of Martin Luther King's speeches. You can still listen and learn from one of the most influential speakers in American history, because of technology. It's an amazing thing.

Carly Pugh's Blog Post:
First I just want to say that I loved Carly's Blog Post #12 ! She talked with such enthusiasm that it was a great post to read. And Carly is just like what Dr. Miller is talking about. She talked about communicating with her students with multimedia. And I loved the idea of making a Youtube playlist. That was such a great idea. The reason the Youtube playlist is such a great idea is because Carly talks about the visual aspect. She's correct on the fact that not everyone can just be told something, and then understand it. So to be able to create a playlist so that visual learners can also keep up and understand, is such a great idea.

EDM 310 Is Different:
I found both The Chipper Series and EDM 310 for Dummies hilarious. I found the hair pulling and going crazy totally relatable. There have been plenty of times where I was doing just that, before I got some help.

If I had to create videos I would make mine on procrastination and not asking for help. Those two are very big battles I had and have to deal with. I know Dr. Strange talked about procrastination at the beginning of the semester but the seriousness of that does not hit you until you're still up at 11:30 on a sunday night, trying to finish what needed to be done before 12am. In those moments you tell yourself "This will NOT happen again next week!" So for my video I would show how to successfully accomplish time management so that you can be successful in the future of EDM 310 and also for the rest of your life.

The second video that I would like to create is on asking questions. Asking questions so soooo important in EDM 310. Like the saying goes "no question is a dumb question." and I believe that to be true. Especially in EDM 310. This is a totally different class than any other class you'll take. That's why Dr. Strange has created so many different ways for you to get ahold of someone, inorder to ask a question. Dr. Strange wants you to pass the class, he's not making it easy because he wants you to earn it. So one way in order for you to pass this class you'll have to admit to someone that you don't know what you're doing and be humble and ask for help from someone who knows what he or she is talking about.

Learn To Change, Change To Learn:
The arguments made in the "Learn To Change, Change To Learn" video we're all validated arguments. I agreed with most if not all of the points made.I love the whole idea about teaching with technology. It needs to be incorporated into the school system. One of the best quotes from the video is "Every turned off device, is potentially a turned off child." And that's so true. If our old buildings of mortar and brick aren't efficiently teaching the students of tomorrow, then we need to learn to teach in a way that incorporates technology into the classroom. To teach the students to where they aren't just memorizing for tests, but are becoming more efficient and smarter students and actually learning.

Scavenger Hunt 2.0
1. Comic Strip
View my comic Ms. Buzz!!! Then go and make one at Make Beliefs Comix!

2.Poll
Come take my poll HERE!! Then go create one at PollEverywhere.com!

3. Video Tool
With Animoto you can make your pictures into videos! (Which is pretty cool) some of the features that Animoto has is:
1. You can use it on your mobile phone. You can share and make videos anytime and anywhere!
2. You can add captions and titles to all of your pictures and videos.
3. You can choose over 1000 songs to pair up with your video to make it even better! Who wouldn't like to make a soundtrack of their very own?

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more on everything you said!! I love the thought of being able to use You Tube in the classroom to allow the students to see and hear real live speeches from the past. this within itself will help students relate to the material being discussed.
    I have also been in the "Late Night" Sundays, and I too think that students coming into EDM 310 needs to realize how important planning and time management is for this class and life in general so you have a great idea for a video!
    I also created comic strips and experimented with Poll Everywhere. Teachers can benefit from both of these tools. Visiting Animoto is now on my to do list for sure. I would love to create a video with my childrens' pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If I had to create videos I would make mine on procrastination and not asking for help. " project 16 perhaps?

    "The second video that I would like to create is on asking questions." Another excellent idea!

    "So one way in order for you to pass this class you'll have to admit to someone that you don't know what you're doing and be humble and ask for help from someone who knows what he or she is talking about. " Right! If you know it all already why should you have to take the course? Most students think they know it all already - but they don't.

    "...video we're all validated arguments...." were, not we're; valid, not validated (at least that is not the meaning I think you intend)

    Thorough, thoughtful, well done! Nominated for post of the week.

    ReplyDelete